make our environment fantastic
Global Ministries Earthkeeper Project by Liz Feighner and Mary Jo Fisher
Our Project Presentation – Oct 6, 2019
(starts at 24:00 min – double click to advance timeline)
Because of the interconnected climate crisis and plastic pollution crisis, we are organizing a six-month campaign to reduce single-use plastics that will culminate with #PlasticFreeLent.
Plastic and its toxic additives pose serious risks to human health at every stage of the plastic lifecycle. Harmful climate-warming emissions and toxic chemicals are constantly released during plastic’s entire lifecycle, from the extraction of fracked gas, to its production at petrochemical hubs, to the disposal of plastic waste and resulting pollution of our rivers and oceans. These emissions damage our health and environment — and threaten our future.
Today, the world is drowning in plastic waste. Plastic bits are in the rain, our soil, our rivers and oceans, our food chain and in us. It is estimated that by 2050 the ocean will have more plastic by weight than fish.
During our campaign, we will have guest speakers, hold workshops, provide tips, offer alternatives and encouragement in an effort to help reduce our plastic use. We will hold mini-challenges encouraging people to demand corporate responsibility and government policy to provide alternatives to plastic.
We hope you will participate in our #breakfreefromplastic campaign – a global movement envisioning a future free from plastic pollution.
Our kick-off challenge will run between Oct. 20 & Nov. 3
- For one week, please save all plastic that you would throw away or recycle. It can be any seven days during that time.
- Please thoroughly rinse the plastic and allow it to dry completely. We know we are asking a lot, but the youth plan to make something creative from our plastic collection, so please bring clean and dry plastic to church.
- When you have saved seven days’ worth of plastic, take a picture of it and, if possible, weigh it. Please email your picture with the weight to email@example.com. We hope to use this information to determine our success at the end of our campaign.
- Put your saved plastic in a clear plastic bag or box and bring it to church on Sunday, Oct. 27 or Nov. 3. Set it on the stage in the fellowship hall. Clear plastic bags are available on the table with our #breakfreefromplastic display.
- When you place your plastic on the stage in the Fellowship Hall, please fill out the form with how much the plastic weighed, the number of people in your family and your family name (optional). We want to keep track of how many families brought in plastic.
- Please email us with questions, suggestions or requests for information to help make this campaign a success.
- Sunday, Nov. 3 at Noon – First Sunday Live – Plastic Pollution and the Solutions
- Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 7 pm – Know before you Throw – Are you recycling right?
- Details here.