Heavy burdens should be carried together.
To our EUMC Family,
These past months have weighed heavily on so many of us – physically, spiritually, psychologically, and financially. COVID-19 has changed so much of life as we know it, but most especially for those who have lost jobs or income because of social distancing and shutdowns.
What hasn’t changed is the collective strength of Emmanuel UMC. We are inspired by our ancestors in the faith who “would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need” (Acts 2:45). We are guided by our mission to create a Jesus-loving inclusive community. As a church called to love each other toward flourishing life, we have a Helping Hands Fund to support those in our church community who have been hardest hit financially by the pandemic. See below to learn more. Remember, even in times of physical distance, we can carry each other.
In addition to giving to individuals in need, the EUMC staff has distributed Helping Hands Funds to local non-profits to support their essential work as they care for those most impacted by COVID-19. To date we have distributed $4,500 in Helping Hands Funds to Grassroots Crisis Intervention, the Laurel Advocacy and Referral Service, and Bridges to Housing Stability. We have also collected and distributed funds to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Little Flowers Early Childhood and Development Center.
– The Emmanuel Staff and Leadership
Can Emmanuel help?
If you find yourself strained financially in this time, here’s what you need to know:
- Who is eligible: Any EUMC‘er who has been actively sharing life with us (attending worship, participating in a small group, service activity, or supporting the ministry and life of the church in any way) and who is struggling to make ends meet due to quarantine and/or social distancing.
- How to request assistance: Please fill out this form here.
- How it works: Decisions will be made discreetly by designated members of the EUMC staff based on eligibility as described above. All information will be kept in confidence.
- How much you can receive: Help is offered in block grants of up to $500. If you are finding your bank account pinched at ALL during this time, PLEASE don’t hesitate to make a request.
Can YOU help?
We are seeking financial donations for this specific effort to provide support to those in our church family and community who are struggling as a result of COVID-19 events. If you are in a position to do so, we ask that you make a gift of any amount to this fund. Here’s how you can contribute:
- Go to www.eumclaurel.org/donate-now
- Click on the word “here” in the first sentence.
- Enter in the amount you’d like to give to the Helping Hands Fund.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to complete your transaction, including selecting how you’d like to give (credit card or bank transfer), and how often.
- Fill out the rest of your information and then select “Process.”
- Additionally, you can send a check to the church office and mark “Helping Hands Fund” in the memo line.