Our History

1893

Emmanuel Church began with a Sunday School that was organized in the Welch Schoolhouse located at #216 Harding Road – the Sunday School started with only eight members

1893

Land was donated to the Sunday School Class for them to build a church -for $1 per day Mr. Joe McCaulley agreed to erect the church building, his total charge for labor was $260 – Mrs. Emma Carr Alcorn suggested the church be named “Emmanuel”

eumc18941894

The Church building was completed and a cornerstone was laid, containing a Bible and an 1894 dime

1927

The Church tower was struck by lightning and caught fire – the tower was eventually rebuilt

1935-36

The room under the Narthex was dug out and used as a kitchen – later the room was used to house organ pipes

1943

The altar, pulpit and lecture currently in use in our sanctuary were built by Emmanuel’s pastor, Rev. Ira W. Shindle -the stained glass memorial windows were installed

1956

The 11-acre parcel of Emmanuel land was purchased. The parsonage and our nature trail are currently located here.

eumc_ed_bldg

1959

The “education building” was completed and is still in use today

1960

Emmanuel completed building a parsonage (used as the Vernon Brown Ministry Center today) and a student pastor, Rev. D. Homer Stewart, and his family moved into the parsonage the day after it was completed

1972

A seven rank M.P. Moller pipe organ was acquired and installed

1993

The congregation completed a new sanctuary, additional classroom space, a music room and a kitchen

1998

The parsonage was converted into church offices, Sunday School and meeting rooms called the Vernon Brown Ministry Center

2004

The Expansion Team was formed and took on the task of conducting a feasibility study to address growth issues, and to prepare Emmanuel UMC and its ministries for the future

2009

The Expansion Capital Campaign Team invited the congregation to participate in a visionary expansion and renovations of our building